Friday, August 31, 2012

Pretty Amazing & The Dream is Alive and Well - Day 9

The Dream is Alive and Well - Ed's Thoughts on the Journey
Today I reflected on our journey and wanted to share a few thoughts.  First is that my beloved wife and best friend of 38 years is willing to join me in my dream of doing this ride.  I would not have done it without her and her sharing in this adventure is amazing!  She has done outstanding and is one heck of a climber.  Even though she dreads the hills I can't keep up with her no matter how steep the grade is.  I would never have thought that she was willing to do a 66 mile ride followed by by a 52 mile ride today.  She is truly an amazing woman and I love her with all my heart!  I will follow her next in her dream but I'm not sure what that is.

My next thoughts are that today was truly the dream I envisioned.  It was absolutely the best bike ride I have been on!  Fifty-two miles of quiet road, with little traffic, minimal climbing and a nice bike lane along the Pacific Ocean.  What an experience it was and even though I know there will be many miles not as pleasant as today I will always cherish this ride with my dear wife.

Lastly this journey is not only about completing the goal of arriving at Mexico, but it is also about deepening my love for Jesus Christ.  Today we read John Chapter 3 and I was reminded about a book I am reading called "Crazy Love".  It gives an illustration of  using a movie about God and His creation.  In this movie we humans are in the movie for a mere 3 seconds compared to the whole feature.  In other words the movie is about God and not me!  John 3 brought this to life when John the Baptist stated that " He (Jesus) must become greater and greater and I must become less."  This journey has emphasized how insignificant I am and how great God is!  Seeing the vast mountains, the tremendous forests, the marvelous farm and ranch land, and the mighty Pacific Ocean has reminded me of our great creator!

Pretty Amazing - Sharla's Thoughts on the Journey
As we left Twin Harbors State Park this morning, we soon had beautiful views of the Pacific Ocean and my comment was that this was pretty amazing. I had such a sense of wonder seeing the ocean.  There is the beauty of God's creation I see there but also the amazement we have made it so far and we will be following alongside this ocean the rest of the way.  Ed said this morning that  he thought this journey would come to an end too soon.  Those aren't exactly my thoughts. I love my husband enough to not want to stand in the way of his completing his dream and I thought I could make it with God's enabling.  I have seen God work so far.  I am enjoying the time together,  enjoying the magnificent scenery and enjoying eating lunches in small cafes along the way.  I don't enjoy the steep hills that I have to get into my bottom gears and am still huffing & puffing and out of oxygen by the time I get to the top but thankfully I think I'm getting a little stronger so the hills are manageable.  I am looking forward to continuing to see God's hand in our travels. Tonight we are staying in Bush Pioneer County Park--47 miles to the Oregon border--that also is pretty amazing.

1 comment:

  1. I think of you often. I'd love to do the adventure some day myself! (My wife and I met you in Port Townsend, downtown, on a corner.)

    ReplyDelete